Tuesday, November 15, 2022

The LORD's 40-day fast

 Luke 4:1-15

King James Version

4 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost 

returned from Jordan, 

and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,

2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. 

And in those days he did eat nothing: 

and when they were ended, 

he afterward hungered.

3 And the devil said unto him, 

If thou be the Son of God, 

command this stone that it be made bread.

4 And Jesus answered him, 

saying, 

It is written, 

That man shall not live by bread alone, 

but by every word of God.

5 And the devil, 

taking him up into an high mountain, 

shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world 

in a moment of time.

6 And the devil said unto him, 

All this power will I give thee, 

and the glory of them: 

for that is delivered unto me; 

and to whomsoever I will I give it.

7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, 

all shall be thine.

8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, 

Get thee behind me, Satan:

 for it is written, 

Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, 

and him only shalt thou serve.

9 And he brought him to Jerusalem, 

and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, 

and said unto him, 

If thou be the Son of God, 

cast thyself down from hence:

10 For it is written, 

He shall give his angels charge over thee, 

to keep thee:

11 And in their hands they shall bear thee up, 

lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

12 And Jesus answering said unto him, 

It is said, 

Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

13 And when the devil had ended all the temptation, 

he departed from him for a season.

14 And Jesus returned 

in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: 

and there went out a fame of him 

through all the region round about.

15 And he taught in their synagogues, 

being glorified of all.


Ever tried fasting?

How long have you fasted?

Did you, at least, take water?

JESUS fasted 40 days straight.

In those 40 days, the devil tempted Him, non-stop.

Do we have such endurance?

Do we have such faithfulness?

The LORD, being Who He Is, He remained faithful to GOD, and to His ministry.

In our times of weakness, remember this:

The LORD is our strength.

How very fitting these verses are:

Philippians 4:12-13

King James Version

12 I know both how to be abased, 

and I know how to abound: 

every where and in all things 

I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, 

both to abound and to suffer need.

13 I can do all things through Christ 

which strengtheneth me.


Without JESUS, we can do nothing.

John 15:5

King James Version

5 I am the vine, 

ye are the branches: 

He that abideth in me, 

and I in him, 

the same bringeth forth much fruit: 

for without me ye can do nothing.


More articles here.


Related material:

JESUS on fasting


The fast GOD has CHOSEN

  Isaiah 58:3 King James Version 3 Wherefore have we fasted, say they,  and thou seest not?  wherefore have we afflicted our soul,  and thou...